Looking for a way to take a break from your busy life and rejuvenate your mind, body, and soul without breaking the bank? Wellness travel is a wonderful way to do just that. Wellness travel has become increasingly popular in recent years. And it´s not hard to see why. After all, what could be better than taking a well-deserved break from your busy life to relax, recharge, and rejuvenate? Wellness travel is ideal to relief stress, move your body and improve your overall health. Unfortunately, many people assume that wellness travel is a luxury reserved only for the rich and famous. But that is simply not the case. There are affordable options that fit your budget. In this article, we´ll explore some tips to make your wellness travel more affordable; and I will share two of my most recent affordable wellness experiences right here in Florida.
- Choose the right destination. One of the biggest costs associated with travel is simply getting there. Look for destinations that are easily accessible by car or public transportation to minimize transportation costs. For example, many national and state parks in the US offer camping and hiking options that can be great for disconnecting and recharging. Also, you can use your flight rewards program and fly to nearby destinations that are more affordable than exotic destinations.
- Consider off season travel. Traveling during peak season can be incredibly expensive and can lead to overcrowded destinations that won’t offer the peace and tranquility you are looking for. By contrast, travelling off season can be a fantastic way to save money and beat the crowds. Many wellness retreats and spas offer discounts during the low season, so you may be able to find a great deal if you are willing to travel during less popular times.
- Look for packages and special offers. Many wellness retreats and spas offer packages or special offers that can help you save money on your travels. For example, some wellness resorts may offer discounted rates for longer stays or mid-week bookings. Other resorts offer packages for in-state residents.
- Look for alternative accommodation options. Instead of staying at a resort, you can stay at budget hotels, hostels, short term rentals such as Airbnb and VRBO that are close to healthy food options or areas known for their wellness activities.
- Create your own DIY wellness travel. Try booking a vacation rental with a kitchen and cook your own healthy meals. Take advantage of nature trails and explore the surrounding area on foot or by bike. Bring your own yoga mat and meditation cushion and practice your own mindfulness exercises in your own private space.
Another way to save money on wellness travel is to book packages that include multiple services. For example, you may find a retreat center that offers accommodations, healthy meals, daily yoga classes and massage all for a flat fee.
Be strategic about how you spend your money on wellness travel. Rather than splurging on lavish meals or expensive spa treatments that may not provide lasting benefits, invest in experiences that will truly nourish your body and soul.
Finally, consider doing a wellness staycation. Explore your own hometown or nearby city for wellness offerings, like meditation classes, nature hikes, and local spa services.
Prior to becoming a travel agent, I was an aesthetician. So, I am very fond of spa services locally and when I travel. The Safety Harbor Resort and Spa offers Florida residents a staycation package, which I recently took advantage of. For a weekend stay, all breakfasts were included, as well as my choice of spa treatment. Not to mention that I spent my entire weekend soaking in the healing waters for which they are famous. It was a great weekend to decompress from my busy schedule. The location was perfect because, although there were not many healthy food options that I could see, there was a yoga studio at walking distance; and it so happened that, during the weekend I chose to stay at this resort, there was a street festival, so it was very enjoyable. When I got back to work on Monday, I felt renewed!
Another place for a wellness staycation is the Plantation Resort in Crystal River, which is in Citrus County. I loved it! It is an affordable resort, where you can spend a lovely weekend, or a mid-week stay for an even more affordable stay. They offer Senior specials, Golf packages, AAA members’ specials, and currently, they are offering Spring packages. They have a spa where they offer mani/pedis, facials, body treatments, massages, reflexology, and Chakra balancing. To further decompress, they offer a host of activities to suit various preferences such as boat rentals, fishing and scalloping tours, diving, and my favorite stress-relief treatment was swimming with the manatees. This is an utterly unique experience that everyone should try at least once in their lifetime! They also offer a Sunset cruise on weekends.
As you can see, affordable wellness travel is possible and accessible for everyone with a little bit of planning. You can create a meaningful travel experience prioritizing your wellness and taking time to rejuvenate yourself without breaking the bank. Happy travels!